- Margin Squeeze?
- Your Leadership Team?
- Time-Bomb Issues?
If you’re a leader and can’t sleep…welcome to a very big group. It’s a club where every leader and every organization on the planet is facing the same “change boogey man.” Most organizations eventually end up searching for an answer to their insomnia. A new strategy. A new product. A new wrinkle. A new website. A new something.
What does a leader do when faced with “sleepless nights”?
That’s the ultimatum left in its wake of our ChangeAge where normalcy is under siege and virtually every aspect of organizational life is changing before our eyes.
It’s an ultimatum because lack of urgency is the silent assassin of opportunity. Every day those opportunities slip away unnoticed in the night, never to return.
THE COMPLACENCY CULPRIT
The primary reason an organization lacks urgency can be captured with just one word—COMPLACENCY. Here’s how to spot the complacency culprit. It is:
- Almost always produced by SUCCESS.
- Created by people who NEVER think they are complacent.
- Common when the focus is on INTERNAL issues and external forces are ignored.
- Apparent when trouble comes and the complacent people BLAME someone else.
- Assured when people FAKE urgency with a frenetic activity churn around unimportant minutia.
- Evident when people are CONTENT with harmony, equilibrium, and their own personal security.
5 WAYS TO GENERATE URGENCY
Here are the five ways I have created urgency in my 25-year career as a CEO, leader, and strategist:
- If real urgency doesn’t exist…CREATE it, no matter what it takes.
- If a crisis appears, LEVERAGE it by turning the opportunity into urgency.
- If something new must happen, REMOVE something old to make room.
- If there’s a fixation on the past, INTERRUPT it by framing today through the lens of tomorrow.
- If you want to create urgency, FLOOD the organization with information from the outside—the market, the community, the world—and shut down insular, internal thinking.
The solution to leadership insomnia is creating URGENCY NOW!